Thursday, May 12, 2016

KLR650 Sub-Frame Bolts

Apparently there is something to the rumor that the sub-frame bolts on the KLR650 break.

While cleaning up the bikes (KLR650 and DR650) after Sunday's romp in the Richloam WMA Forest Area I noticed that the lower, left-side sub-frame bolt was missing. A closer look and it turned out that the bolt was actually broken off. The inner side of the sub-frame bracket is threaded and the bolt end was still in there, thus requiring the fractured bolt's removal.

Here's a look at the manufacture's sub-frame diagram and how it bolts up to the main frame.


The upper bolts are M10-30mm (125 pitch).
The lower bolts are M8-28mm (125 pitch).

Here's a look at the sub-frame bolt locations on the motorcycle. The uppers are actually located under the fuel tank requiring it to be lifted about 3 inches to get to them. I previously replaced the upper sub-frame bolts in connection with my Nomad Rider Crash Guards Installation. That installation required a longer set of bolts that was provided as part of the installation hardware.


A quick run up to my local hardware store and I picked up a couple better grade bolts (Class 10.9). Fortunately, the broken bolt was easy to drill straight through the threaded part of the bracket. When I installed the new bolts, I applied some thread locker. I'm sure we'll be good now.

4 comments:

  1. Did My Nomad Rider Install and at the same time did the Eagle Mikes Drill thru upper and bought the longer bolt for the SW. Motech bars.. Worked perfectly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it amazing that this motorcycle has been in production for so many years, yet a simple flaw like weak subframe bolts that fracture regularly persists among the owner community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information. I have a 2008 KLR and the left side lower bolt broke as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no one talks about how removing the material by drilling affects the structural strength of the bike. I wish there was a more in depth discussion about upgrading the strength of the bolts vs. through-bolting the upper frame after drilling ...I'm heavy (215)and ride my '08 hard so I'll have to do one or the other for peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete